Friday, March 20, 2009

A Tribute to another Great Woman - Mary Wilde

For the passed week or so I've been calling my Dad every day asking "How's Aunt Mary today". She is my Dad's youngest sibling and the baby of their family. Around 1976-78 she was diagnosed and had surgery for a brain tumor. They didn't give her much hope of making it in the long-term perspective. But she did and I believe she is one of the woman in my life who has shown me -- never give up. Well as of today, those daily phone calls to my Dad asking that question will stop. Today around 1:30 pm Mary Price Wilde returned home to her Heavenly Father. She will be greatly missed.

My heart goes out to my Uncle Ralph and my three cousins, Glen, Allison & Steve. I have felt the sadness that is in their hearts. No words can ease the pain. Even today, I still miss my Mom soo very much!! I wanted to talk to her during my recovery period, so I said a little prayer. The next few days and the next year will be a trying time for this family. A time to lean heavily on their faith in the gospel, to turn to each other and share their memories, joys and sorrows. A time to laugh, cry and be there for each other.

One of the first memories that popped into my mind about Aunt Mary was during a trip home from Hurricane. I road with them, instead of riding with my own family. Allison and I where in the very back of the station wagon laying down (that's before seat belts were a law). I leaned over and farted on Allison's leg (thinking I was funny) she leaned up and told her Mom and I got the biggest scotch blessing I have ever gotten from Aunt Mary. Needless to say, I never did that again, to anyone. Aunt Mary loved to jewelry. She shopped the pawn shops and got some extremely great deals! Every time she would see you had on a ring, she would say "let me see that". She would also take the ones off her fingers and just give you one. Even in her weakened condition, she held a calling in her ward as the Compassionate Service Leader. She would make arrangements for peoples funerals, or meals if there was a surgery or need. She knew how to get people to do things in a way that others couldn't. As I said, She will be missed.

1 comment:

Jim said...

Christy - you are little fart! I can't believe you would do something like that to anyone, let alone family. Yep, Aunt Mary's gonna be missed - and yep, it's been just a little hard today. Princess is gone to scrapbooking retreat and I'm here alone with the girls - trying to keep myself busy. Aunt Hattie, Mom, now Aunt Mary - I'm a little blue - Please take care of yourself - get better and let me know if there is anything I can do to help. All my Love. Jim